After Father Doran’s death in 1928, Father Collins (1928 – 1936) was named superintendent. A great depression was about to creep across the country, a calamity that would place many families in upheaval. Work would become scarce and many families would turn to their churches to provide for their children.
Fortunately for many families in the Chicago area, St. Mary’s was there for them. The children came until there simply was no more room. This growing population put severe strains on St. Mary’s and the Archdiocese. Father Collins set about rebuilding the sagging farm operation to feed his children and to sell the surplus to bring a little extra income.
He also instituted the St. Mary Cardinal – the first student newspaper. It was a great success with the children and each boy or girl mentioned in the publication reveled when their name would appear in print. Unfortunately, because of lack of funding, the paper closed three years later.
Early in 1936, Father Collins left St. Mary’s to accept a parish assignment.